Treating Cluster Headaches at Your New York Chiropractor
Cluster headaches are so rare that they affect 1 or 2 people out of 1000. Those who have suffered cluster headaches claim they are more painful than childbirth. It is not clear what causes them but they are known to affect men more than women. If you experience cluster headaches, it is important that you seek treatment from NuView Health Medical.
What is a Cluster Headache?
Cluster headaches can be described as attacks of severe one sided headaches. They occur over a number of weeks and occur in cyclical patterns or in clusters hence in the name. The pain is so intense that it wakes you in the middle of the night. They can last from anywhere between weeks to a month with periods where you don’t experience pain. While the pain can be excruciating, it is not a life threatening condition.
Causes of Cluster Headaches
Research shows that during an attack the hypothalamus part of the brain becomes overactive. However, doctors are not sure why this happens. When one is having an attack the hypothalamus will start releasing chemicals called the neurotransmitters which stimulate the nerve cells in the brain causing pain. While it is not known what causes cluster headaches, below are some known triggers:
• Alcohol – some people experience the head ache within an hour of having an alcoholic drink and they are advised not to take alcohol.
• Being hot – a hot bath or staying in a hot room can trigger an attack.
• String smells from perfumes or petrol
• Some sufferers get irritated by bright screens and watching TV even shows like hell's kitchen can trigger an attack.
Treatment for Cluster Headaches
Diagnosis is based on the symptoms but there is no test to diagnose. Taking ordinary pain killers do not work for cluster headaches. Treatment is divided into treatments to relieve the pain and treatment to prevent them.
• Sumatriptan injection is an injection right under the skin which is known to relieve pain in about 15 minutes.
• Zolmitriptan nasal spray it is an alternative to the injection but it takes longer to work.
• 100% oxygen therapy
How Our New York Chiropractor Can Help
Visiting Rockefeller center chiropractic for chiropractic care to help with your headaches. Headaches often occur due to misalignment for the vertebrae and this misalignment can create stress on the brain stem. Upper cervical care by an experienced chiropractor can offer a natural treatment alternative.
Book an Appointment at NuView Health Medical
If you live in Midtown East, Midtown West or Midtown and you are looking for a chiropractor near me, visit our NuView Health Medical at NYC 10036.