Knee Pain Treatment From Your Manhattan Chiropractor
Backaches and neck aches -- these are probably the most common ailments that office employees routinely complain about. In New York City, however, where there’s always a lot of walking to be done, knee pain ranks right up there with chronic back and neck problems. Leg and knee joints definitely sustain a lot of wear and tear as people pound the pavement on their daily commutes to and from work. Knee pain may pop up suddenly or linger around causing intermittent disruptions in your work and home life, but whether your knee issues are chronic or not, it doesn't have to be a permanent situation.
Chiropractic care can be extremely beneficial in helping to alleviate the pain caused by problems with your back, neck, knees and other joints throughout the body.
Common Knee Problems
Once pain hits, most people are not as interested in the “why?” as they are in the “how?” as in “how do I relieve this pain?” Nevertheless, it can be helpful to understand the source of the pain because that knowledge may assist with preventing future occurrences of it. Common problems that we routinely treat in our office include:
- Meniscal Tears - Usually occurs due to a sports injury or trauma and involves damage to the connective tissues that cushion the knee.
- Ligament Injuries, which includes the Anterior Cruciate Ligaments (ACL), Posterior Cruciate Ligaments (PCL) and Collateral Ligaments (MCL & LCL) - Ligaments are the thick bands of tissue that surround the knee joint and hold the bones in place. Damage to ligaments typically happens because of a knee being bent out of shape or from a sports injury or fall.
- Tendinitis of the Knee and Tendon Tears - Tendinitis can be caused by an accident that damages the tendons around the knee joint or from overuse of the tendons that are attached to the bones which control knee movement.
- Runner’s Knee (Patella Femoral Syndrome) - With Runner’s Knee, the femur bone experiences friction with the knee cap (Patella). This usually happens due to injury, muscle imbalance, overuse or injury.
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome - The iliotibial band is a ligament outside the knee joint that helps to stabilize the knee bones. This condition occurs when there is too much friction between the bone and the band, causing the iliotibial band, and the bursa which lies below it, to become tight and inflamed.
- In addition to knee problems, we also routinely treat foot and ankle injuries such as sprains, strains, Achilles Tendon Injuries and Plantar Fasciitis.
How a Chiropractor Can Help
Chiropractic care specializes in creating balance and alignment in the musculoskeletal structure. Through diagnostic x-rays and a manual spinal examination, we can accurately pinpoint the source of your pain. Instead of merely masking the pain with a temporary fix of painkillers, we focus on addressing the underlying cause of the issue, which helps to achieve long-term relief. Through treating the source of the pain and by educating our patients on the optimal and safest ways to conduct their daily physical activities, we can promote generally healthier attitudes and lifestyles.
NuView Health Medical has been serving the Manhattan area for over 15 years.
Contact Your Manhattan Chiropractor Today
We encourage you to give us a call at (212) 588-0707 to learn more about how chiropractic care can not only alleviate your pain but also help you take a more natural and holistic approach to your overall health and well-being.