Iliotibial Band Syndrome Relief with our Midtown Manhattan Chiropractor at NuView Health Medical
What is Iliotibial Band Syndrome?
The iliotibial band is a long piece of connective tissue that runs down the outer edge of your thigh, from the side of the hip to just below your knee. If this tissue becomes too tight or irritated, or if it rubs against your knee as your knee joint bends and extends, then significant pain and inflammation can develop. When this happens, a person can be said to have iliotibial band syndrome.
Common Causes & Symptoms of IT Band Syndrome
IT band syndrome is common among people who do physical activities like running, dancing, cycling. Failure to properly stretch and mobilize the IT band can lead to tightness and irritation of the band itself or the friction-reduced fluid-filled sac called bursae that are located beneath it. Likewise, not warming up properly, not getting enough rest between workouts, over-training, wearing poor footwear, using the improper running technique, or running downhill or on uneven surfaces (which can throw off hip/knee alignment) can also irritate the IT band and lead to symptoms which include:
- Pain on the outside of the knee
- Warmth and redness on the outside of the knee
- A feeling of clicking or popping on the outside of the knee
- Tenderness and pain along the outer edge of the thigh
Interestingly, certain postural abnormalities, like having wide hips, knocked knees (genu valgum), weak core muscles, and improper foot positioning can increase tension on the IT band and lead to symptoms as well.
How a New York Chiropractor Near You Can Alleviate Your IT Band Pain
Our New York chiropractor and the multidisciplinary team can provide you with a variety of services to alleviate your painful iliotibial band syndrome:
- Physical therapy and sports medicine, to learn stretches and exercises that will improve IT band length, hip strength, core strength, and body mechanics
- Massage therapy, to promote increased circulation that will accelerate healing and reduce swelling
- Chiropractic adjustments, to trigger the release of natural painkillers
- Acupuncture, to further trigger natural painkillers and alleviate tension in the connective tissues within the lower leg
Is an Iliotibial Band Flare-Up Holding You Back From Your Active Lifestyle? Connect with NuView Health Medical of Manhattan Today!
Contact NuView Health Medical now at (212) 588-0707 to schedule an appointment with a New York chiropractor and get natural pain relief in your IT band!